ROMAN TOWER AT ST. ANNE’S PARK TOMB OF THE JULII
This tower, recently restored, was difficult to photograph because of various constraints.
The Roman Tower is situated on a hill overlooking the lake and the Pompeiian temple. Today, the Tomb of the Julii is largely obscured by vegetation [which is why it was difficult to photograph]. It was originally a more prominent feature of St. Anne’s.
The tower was based on the design of the original Tomb of the Julii in St. Remy, France and was constructed by Benjamin Lee Guinness. It was originally located on top of the main house, but was taken down and moved to this location by Lord and Lady Ardilaun when they commissioned the J. F. Fuller extension in 1873-76.